The Federal Land Bank of Baltimore opened its Puerto Rico branch.
Sugar, coffee, grapefruit and pineapples were the most lucrative crops at the time.1922
Arch. Antonin Nechodoma was commissioned to design the branch’s HQ in Old San Juan’s Tetuan St.
The building still stands and is currently occupied by the PR Chamber of Commerce.1926
The branch’s name changes to Puerto Rico Production Credit Association.1934
The Association plays a role in the significant expansion of the tobacco and sugar industries.1935-1940
First loans granted to cotton farmers.1941
The Association strongly supported the development of local agribusinesses during these nearly five decades.
Significant changes in this period include:
- The mechanization of the agriculture industry
- New loan programs for cars and homes
When Hurricane Hugo hit the island and destroyed crops, the Association established aid programs for its members.1989
Puerto Rico Farm Credit, as we know it, is established as a holding company of the Association.1991
We remain strongly committed to helping farmers, agro entrepreneurs and their families. Now, more than ever, we are eager to support innovation and reinvention in our agricultural sector.Today